Do You Really Need a Video for Your Business?

do you really need a video for business

So everybody is trying to talk you into using video, but do you really need it for your business?

Short answer probably yes, but before explaining why I’d like you to take a look at some trends and recent statistics. Lets see how big the past year was for video:

  • Midway through 2015, mobile video plays exceeded 44% — up 74% from 2014 and up a whopping 844% since 2012 (Source)

rise-of-mobile-video-2015

Image from: Ooyala

  • Between April 2015 and November 2015, the amount of average daily video views on Facebook doubled from 4 billion video views per day to 8 billion. (Source)
  • In July 2015, Periscope users were watching 40 years’ worth of videos every day. (Source)

periscope-time-watched-per-day

Image from: Fast Company

  • In Q2 of 2015, mobile phones (34%) and tablets (15%) combined for 49% of video ad impressions — up from 38% in Q1 of 2015. Publishers saw PC impressions drop from 62% to 50% in the previous quarter. (Source)
  • So the past year was big in terms of video, but what about the future? Syndacast predicts 74% of all internet traffic in 2017 will be video. (Source)

percentage-of-internet-traffic-video

Image from: Syndacast

The stats are clear.

Video is on the rise and with new social media platforms such as Periscope or Snapchat popping up and gaining their momentum it’s surely not going away in the future.

That sounds all good, but what does this have to do with you.

If your company has an online presence chances are you do need a video. In the next paragraphs I’ll explain why.

Maximize on your online presence with online video

Every business tries to tackle one of these problems at some point – driving brand awareness, customer acquisition or user growth.

Online video has proven to be a good tool to help you tackle all of these.

The companies that need it more than anybody else are SaaS companies or cloud computing services.

Because you see, as a SaaS company you’re in a unique position. Your product is virtual.

It’s not something that you can touch or physically show to somebody how it works. If you’re an online company this is your entire storefront. This is the only connection you make with your prospect.

Video is a great way of simplifying complex topics and visually showing how it works. Often times your message is pretty complex and by taking a high level approach people find it easier to connect.

Video makes your page more appealing. Most SaaS companies are evolving in a B2B space. By nature, the content is a bit dry. Only screenshots of your product and a lot of copy can be a bit dull to look at.

Small companies and StartUps can level the playing field with big established companies. By putting a video to your site you can appear bigger and be perceived as more established.

Video has become the norm. The majority of people even expect you to have one. It’s hard to be perceived as a leader in your field if you don’t have a video on your website. If you’re competitors have a video and you don’t they’re having a huge advantage.

Video is easy to share. People love to share videos, because they feel connected to your brand or story.

But is this something you can use effectively for your business even if it’s not a SaaS company?

Absolutely. You can use it not only in terms of brand awareness, onboard marketing and customer acquisition but also with customer support, especially with instructional videos, how to videos etc.

You’re only limited by your creativity.

In one of the upcoming posts I’m going to go deeper on the topic and show you the best and most effective practices of using video for your business.

Conclusion

Video is on the rise and not going away in the future.

It’s a vital tool for any business that wants to maximise on its online presence.

That being said, if you’re a SaaS company or software as a service company, you need it more than anybody else.

Have you ever tried creating video content for your business? If so, for what and how did you use it (brand awareness, customer acquisition, …)?